The library has issued a list of rules for the comfort and protection of all who use the library and for the protection of library materials.
The rules are posted near the main entrance at all three branch facilities.
Anyone who violates these rules after verbal warning by library personnel or security guards and fails to heed such warning will be asked to leave for the remainder of the business day.
People who refuse to leave the library will be subject to arrest and prosecution for criminal trespass. Persons engaged in activities in violation of municipal, state or federal laws will be subject to arrest and prosecution.
Repeated violation of these rules will be cause for more severe penalties, which may include suspension or temporary or permanent revocation of a user's library card and borrowing privileges; temporary or permanent expulsion from use of the library; or temporary or permanent denial of the privilege of access to the library. The Library Director shall have the authority to determine what, if any, penalty will be imposed in each situation. Any customer receiving a penalty under this policy may appeal the Library Director's decision to the Library Board of Trustees.
Library customers are not permitted to:
- Smoke, spit or use tobacco products inside library premises.
- Use the library without being fully dressed, including wearing a shirt or other garment covering the upper body and shoes or other footwear.
- Play audio equipment so that others can hear it. The use of headsets is permitted.
- Use a cell phone inappropriately by talking loudly, for long periods of time or disturbing others.
- Talk loudly, make noise, use abusive or threatening language, or engage in other disruptive conduct.
- Harass library patrons or library employees, through spoken or written words or actions (including extended staring, following or unwelcome touching).
- Administer corporal punishment or physically abuse or assault any person on library property.
- Interfere with another person's use of the library or with library personnel's performance of their duties.
- Use obscene or racially or ethnically offensive language.
- Emit bodily hygiene so offensive as to constitute a nuisance to others or to damage library property.
- Loiter or sleep in the library.
- Vandalize the library's rest rooms, use them inappropriately or use them as laundry facilities, bathing facilities or gathering places.
- Engage in inappropriate displays of affection, as determined by library personnel.
- Damage or steal library materials or property, or remove library materials or property from library premises without proper authorization.
- Skateboard, roller blade, bike ride or engage in similar activities on library property.
- Leave infants, young children or other children who are in need of supervision unattended. (See Unattended Children policy.)
- Bring animals into the library, except those needed to assist a patron with a disability or needed by a trained individual as part of a planned program.
- Distribute or post unapproved or inappropriate material or solicit anywhere on the library grounds, including but not limited to materials that are commercial or political in nature, lewd, vulgar, pornographic, obscene, racist, sexist or otherwise violate State or Federal laws and are not considered protected expression under State and Federal laws.
- Run in the library building.
- Violate any municipal, state or federal law, including laws on assault, harassment, disorderly conduct and reckless endangerment.